Monday, October 22, 2007

Workshop Days

I began my day as any normal school day.
  • Waking up at 6:30
  • Getting dressed, fixing my hair, putting on my makeup, etc.
  • Waking my boys at 6:45
  • Gathering all of the materials I would need for the day

Then I changed my routine. I did not have to go to the school where I teach, I had to travel to Beckley, WV for a workshop on Differentiating Instruction. I left home at 7:00 and stopped by Bud's Shopping Center in Adria. Bud's has the best biscuits that I have every eaten anywhere and my mom is the one who makes them most days. I always get a bacon, cheese, tomato and mayo biscuit, but mom already knows that.

I leave Bud's and travel the 1/2 mile to my colleagues home to pick him up: we are riding together today. I reach his house at around 7:15. We leave Tazewell and head to Bluefield to get on I-77. I make a quick stop in Bluefield to pick up breakfast for my colleague. We finally reach Tamarack Conference Center near Beckley at around 8:40.

We walk in to find that breakfast was provided. Good Grief! I wish we had known. Well anyway we walk in to find a seat and begin our day. The workshop was very interesting and informing. I did not see much in the way of differentiation, but it was informing none the less.

We discussed a great deal about learning modalities and how children in today's classroom are predominately tactile/kinesthetic learners. I liked many of the suggestions and plan to implement several on my return to class tomorrow. Some of which are:

  • Work masks
  • Colored Acetate strips for reading
  • Class stepping stones
  • Index card responses

During our workshop, RESA 1 provided breakfast, like I said before. They also provided a lunch (grilled chicken salad with (we think) Parmesan dressing and cheesecake)and a snack (cookies) around 2:00. Drinks consisting of water, coffee, soda, and juice was available the whole time. I never knew that going to a workshop would give so much. I'm told by others it usually doesn't.

We left the workshop at around 3:30. I had to make a stop at the pet store in Bluefield to pick up a rat (for our Ball Python) and crickets (for our 3 tree frogs). Yes we have a zoo at my home. Another quick stop at Walmart to buy materials to implement our newly found ideas and a few other things.

I finally get my colleague home at about 5:05. I get home shortly after and pick up my youngest son from home (leaving all of my acquired stuff). I travel another 20 minutes in the direction of Bishop Va. to pick up my daughter at my mother-in-laws house. I finally return home at around 6:30.

Supper is still not done and I probably will not make any tonight. You know! Eat what you can find. I am currently working on preparing our materials and planning for tomorrow. I would like to go to bed early, but I have to travel again tonight: picking up my son at Food Lion when he gets off work at 10:00.

No comments: