Thursday, October 18, 2007

When will I see you?

My husband and I both work, but that's not new. Most couples today have to have two family incomes to live Compare that to 30 years ago, when dad worked and mom took care of the home and kids. This does not bother me, considering I grew up wanting to work. What bothers me is the fact that my husband and I work different shifts.

I wake up of a morning at 6:30 and go to work, while my husband is still in bed asleep. He sleeps till about 11:00 and leaves for work at 1:00. I return home around 5:00, do what I need to do and get in the bed around 11:00. At around 3:00 am he returns home to find me asleep and turns in himself. This cycle continues Monday - Friday.

There are some good aspects of this arrangement. I no longer have to take my three year old daughter to my mother-in-laws in the morning: my husband does this. We don't fight or argue much, because we do not see each other enough to get on each others nerves. And finally now someone is available during the day to go to the bank or make phone calls to businesses that are only open from 9 - 5.

The truly awful part of this arrangement is the fact we don't see each other. When we do on the weekends, its as if we really have nothing to say. We kind of lose touch with each other, like there is a emotional distance between us. I love him dearly and always will, but I don't know how long our relationship can last with this situation. We do converse, by way of post it notes we leave each other on the counter.

Most of our post it notes have the usual jargon; Your mom called she will be picking the baby up at 10 today or I wrote a check today for gas it was $$$$. We state we love and miss each other on a daily basis. My husband hates to write, so the post it situation is odd for him. He has written me more in the last month than in our total of 19 years of marriage.

Well it is Saturday, my husband is working till around 11 tonight. We have Sunday to reconnect, before beginning a new week of post it notes. I pray that he will soon get a day shift position and we can truly be a husband and wife again.

No comments: