Thursday, October 18, 2007

School Fire Drills

On average, schools have two to three fire drills per semester. Today my boss, decided that we needed a fire drill. That's not so bad, right! Well! yesterday I was told that we needed to have students in the computer lab daily. This puts a kink into my lesson plans.

I teach only reading of the morning (4th for 1 1/2 hours and 5th for 1 1/2 hours), but after lunch I have to teach social studies, science, language, health, art, music, and computer. I only have 2 hours in which to get it all in and this does not include gym that occurs on a almost daily basis.

Anyways, I am already stressed for time. I read this morning that Prism volunteers will be reading to the students at 2:00, so again there goes my lesson plans. At 2:10, the fire alarm blares (my heart pops into my throat)and I say "Lets go". We walk quickly and wait outside until the boss allows us to return.

We return to an empty computer room and resume our work, only to be interrupted again 5 minutes later with another drill. Oh Boy! Out again into the parking lot to wait. I lost 20 minutes today, when I really did not have any to spare.

Hooray! At least they were drills and not the real thing, I might have lost a lot more.

No comments: