Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Last Day Before Thanksgiving Break

It all began the same way as any other day. I entered my daily work day as before, rushing to prepare materials that I would need for the day. I worked diligently until my colleague entered and informed me that I was going to be observed at 10:30. Wonderful, I did not know that.


5th grade reading went like clock work, we finished everything for the lesson before class change. 4th grade entered as well as my boss. My colleague went first, Spelling, it was supposed to take 15 minutes and turned into 30. Oh! Well it was time well spent. I jumped into the lesson, set up groups while my colleague checked fluency. At 11:15 my colleague left to go to another classroom. I continue with the lesson until 11:45 and my boss leaves the room. I finish all but the grammar and writing portion of the lesson. The extra 15 minutes of spelling would not have helped much in finishing.


I prepare my students for lunch and find my evaluation laying on my desk. Good Reviews! The day continues after lunch, nutrition class for 4th until 2:00. At 2:30, school spelling bee for 4th and 5th graders. I finally see my students again at 3:30. I prepare them for home, get them on the bus, and then the fun begins.


I was coerced into staying after school to help run concessions at the Anawalt Idol. This program is like American Idol, students practice a talent and perform it in front of an audience of parents and community members. It was a fundraising activity for school trips and parties. I did not expect many people in attendance. Boy! I was wrong.


I was amazed, we probably had close to 100 people. The price for admission was 2 dollars for adults and 1 dollar for children. We made over 200 dollars. Concessions did equally as well. We fixed 80 hotdogs and when I left we only had about 16 left. I left as the last song was being played. We may have sold those, but if not we still made 64 dollars just on hotdogs. We also had nacho's, chips, candy, and drinks. I would guess we made around 150 dollars. I would call that a success in our small school and community.


I finally arrived home at 8:02, my mother was sitting in the drive way with the baby. I ran a load of things inside (Mom, brought me a lasagna for supper! Bless her heart!) and transfered the baby to my car. I traveled the 20 minutes to my grandmothers to pick up my youngest son. He walked to her house after wrestling practice to wait for me. I spent about 45 minutes talking to my grandparents before leaving for Foodlion. My oldest son clocked out of work at 9:30, I grabbed salad fix-ins to go with the lasagna and headed home.


Finally at about 10:00, I am home. I quickly reheat the lasagna, cut up the salad mixture and eat supper. At 11:00, my daughter and I move to the bedroom. After a quick book and lots of laughter and hugs and kisses I turn out the light. Thank Heavens above I don't have to work again till Monday.

No comments: