Friday, November 16, 2007

Fun Friday

I awoke this morning, glad that today was Friday. I only had to work 4 days this week, but it seems like it has been 7 days. Sabrina woke up at 7:00 and I left her watching Franklin, drinking Chocolate Milk and eating dry Honey Nut Cheerios. I woke my husband and told him to listen for her. She did not cry, she just kissed me and said, "Bye Mommy!"


I knew today was going to be tough. Our resource teacher (gym) was going to take a half a day, so my planning period would be from 8:30 - 9:00. This was going to push my reading classes to 75 minutes long. The new reading series is tough to get in in 90. I did what I could, with what I had.


Today was also what we call Fun Friday. We participate in a behavioral program called "Respect and Protect". Students are give bifs (behavioral identification forms) when they break a rule. If a student has not received a bif in a 2 week period they are rewarded with Fun Friday. The R&P committee, plan fun things to do on these days. Today we had a concert.


Several teachers dressed up like rock stars and pretended to play instruments and sing to CD's. The students ran around the gym, dancing and laughing. I think they had a good time, but I am wore out. I am on the committee, but I was not a rock star today. I guess you could say I was the security/bouncer. I walked/danced around making sure students were not running full force or doing things that could get them or someone else hurt.


I also tried to encourage a few students to dance. I was about 75% successful, mostly with the older kids. They are at the age now that they are self conscious about doing things like this in front of others. I was actually surprised that a few boys began to approach me to dance with them. A couple of my students looked at me like I was crazy. I guess I might be sometimes.


All in all today was a fun friday, for the students and myself. I hope that the two days I have to work next week, will be as eventful as today just not as tiring.

No comments: