Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Don't Know what I'm doing!

Have you ever felt like you really have no idea what you are doing? I have felt that way all day long. I rarely get the feeling, but when I do I truly feel it.


I returned to work today after being out sick for two days. I came into a new environment, at least if felt that way. I was not sure what to say to my co-workers and how to approach them. Being out for just a few short days you really get out of the groove of things. I went straight to my room and found that I wasn't the only one arriving early. Everyone seemed to be there.


I had not planned any lessons for today, because I did not have any of my things at home to prepare. I had to do a fast review of what had been done and what needed to be done. I ran to the copy room and made copies that I would need and was told that we were having a visitation today from a group of individuals about our new reading series. Yes! I knew about this, but being absent for a few days, I forgot.


The whole school seemed to be in a pressure cooker. Everyone was trying to prepare and brace themselves for the visit. I was just trying to prepare for the kids, never mind the visit. I checked my mailbox, full, just as I expected. I did not even look at it, I did not have the time to spare. I finally got everything ready just as my students were beginning to enter the room. Several of my students acted differently. One of my students that normally is quiet, decides today that he wants to act out. I guess he wants attention.


Today was Tuesday, so my students had nutrition classes after lunch, OH, Bother! as Pooh says. I will lose time again today. I re-configure my lessons for the afternoon. I decide that while 4th is in nutrition, 5th could access Riverdeep, a computer program, to work on this weeks skill (Fact and Opinion). This worked out great because I could use this time to prepare a script for my students. Our school has reader's theatre one Friday a month to boost reading fluency. I forgot but this Friday is the day. I work diligently to copy, sort and staple a script 11 pages long for each of my 24 students.


4th grade returns from nutrition and I put them on the computers. 5th grade works on grammar, writing, and sentence correction from our reading series. I work with the 5th graders until 2:30, at this time we return to the classroom. Surprise!!!! The counselor wants to take my 4th graders to guidance. I guess the 4th grade will not get their grammar, writing or sentence correction done today. At 2:45 my 5th graders head off to nutrition. I spend the next 45 minutes finding and typing the 4th and 5th grade vocabulary for the month, writing new questions for tomorrow and preparing my stuff for home.


I walk over to the boss's office to have her approve my reader's theatre scripts, only to be told that she informed everyone yesterday that we would not be having it this week. She has planned an in school basketball game for Friday. Wonderful! I spent all of that time for nothing. I handed her my vocabulary for the month. She smiled and asked me if I read the memo's from my mailbox. I didn't remember! She no longer wants this list.


I really feel like I am in another dimension today. I walked into a new school, under new management, with newly transferred students and faculty. In a few days it will be back to normal, I hope, until then I will just try to go with the flow.

No comments: