Friday, January 18, 2008

Tuesday January 15th

Tuesday was the day of the big trip for the girls. I awoke this morning excited, but also dreading the day. I awoke my little girl with a smile and informed her that we were going to see Elmo! She had been screaming everyday since I told her about it. When I decided to take her, I also decided that this might be a great time to try potty training. I told her we would go see Elmo if she started to use the potty! IT WORKED! As of today she has only had 5 accidents in almost a week and none in the past 3 days. As I was saying! I woke her up and took her to the potty. I got ready for work and traveled the 20 minutes to my mother-in-laws. When I arrived, it had started to snow pretty heavily. She was asleep so I had to wake her again to go in. She began to cry and shouted "I don't want to be here, I want to see Elmo!" I told her that we would go after I got off work. I dropped her off and continued on to work. The roads were getting bad, but I made it. Only one bus picked up kids in our area, so I only had 4 fifth graders and 6 fourth graders.


I used today to average grades and attend a collaboration meeting with my boss. I left work at 12:00, taking half a day for the trip. The roads had cleared; smooth sailing. I walked in the door at my mother-in-laws to the waiting arms of Sabrina. She was hollering "Go see Elmo!" I left, drove to the Tazewell Co. Courthouse to pay $117 for my oldest sons tickets and then to McDonalds to grab lunch for us.


I got home around 2:00 and called my mom. She decided to keep Sabrina that night and the next day for me. I gathered her things, including her potty and headed to my moms to pick her up. We got on the road around 3:00. Sabrina slept the entire way to Johnson City. I was so so glad. We had a little difficulty finding Freedom Hall with the Internet map that I had printed and had to stop to ask directions. THE INTERNET MAP WAS WRONG! Shame on you Yahoo!


We finally found it at around 5:30. We still had an hour before they opened the doors, so we went to get something to eat. We found an Applebees about a mile down the road. My mom and I both ordered Steak and Shrimp. This was a new experience for my mom. I love their food, but mom had never eaten there. Sabrina ate 8 grilled garlic shrimp and a few vegetables. All the while yelling "Go See Elm0!"


We headed back at 6:15, paid for our parking and entered the building. As soon as we walked in there was souvenir stands and of course we had to get something. $45 dollars later, we had a stuffed Big Bird, Elmo and a t-shirt. We found our reserved seat pretty easily and waited. We watched the crowds as they filled the Civic Center. Sabrina began hollering she had to go to the potty. I carried her up the 3 flights of stairs to the restrooms and returned relieved that she went before the show started.


At exactly 7:30, the show began. I took 2 films worth of pictures, I hope to some how get them on here later for everyone to see. I was amazed! The characters, story line, lights and music were excellent. My daughter's eyes never looked away; she was mesmerized. I watched her several times and she would smile, open her mouth in amazement and follow the characters every move. There were lights, cannons firing confetti, and great music. My mom was having as much fun as my daughter. She laughed out loud several times during the show. Several times the characters walked down the aisle where we were sitting. Sabrina would look at them and then shirk away. She likes them she just did not want to touch them. I did not force it.


At exactly 9:00 the show ended. I figured I would be in traffic for an hour trying to get back to the interstate. I was wrong. I was back on the interstate at 9:15. Sabrina remained awake the entire way home. She stated 4 times she had to go to the potty. I'm glad I had packed the potty. We just placed her on it in the back seat of the car, no need to stop and find a bathroom. We did stop once for gas. I arrived at my mothers house at 11:30. We made excellent time. Sabrina cried not wanting to stay the night, so I just brought her home; at 11:45.


We were both exhausted, but happy to have seen the show. I would recommend Sesame Street Live to everyone of all ages.

No comments: